Choose As We Tell You
Even though Senator Barack Obama has publicly denounced attacks by Democrats upon the family members of his political opponents, few of his supporters in the media have taken heed, as evidenced by a recent article in Slate Magazine that targets a minor child because she is the daughter of Republican VP nominee, Governor Sarah Palin.
Slate Magazine’s Linda Hirshman is shocked that the teenage daughter of Governor Palin is making such a “Wrong Choice” when she chooses life for her unborn baby:
It’s been a while since I heard of many other 17-year-old middle-class girls making that decision. I’ve heard it almost not at all, actually, since 1973 when the Supreme Court extended constitutional protection to a woman’s decision of “whether to bear or beget a child.”
Slate Magazine’s Ms. Hirshman continues, admonishing the Palin daughter about how her life is now on that wrong track to misery and ruin (“Choose As I Tell You”).
- Ms. Palin has only a 40% chance of ever graduating from high school.
- Her chances of ever earning a college degree are less than two in one hundred.
- Her family is almost doomed to live in poverty, because she is choosing life for her baby.
- “These families are more likely to be on welfare and to require publicly provided health care.“
- Ms. Palin has only a ten percent chance of having the father of the baby marry her, and practically no chance at all that he will ever financially support their baby.
- Even if she is one of the lucky few mothers who do marry, that marriage is undoubtedly fated to end in divorce.
- Ms. Palin is also destined to be a smoker, as that is the lot of girls who do not abort their babies.
- Ms. Palin’s baby will suffer low birth weight.
- After birth, the child of Ms. Palin will be abused and neglected.
- When finally ready to attend school, Ms. Palin’s child will do poorly, according to Linda Hirshman.
- After the stigma of being a poor student, Governor Sarah Palin’s grandchild is “likelier to go to prison and to have teen pregnancies themselves, to stay back a grade, to be involved in violence, to go to foster care.”
With this list of horrors awaiting one’s baby, is there any wonder that half of all pregnant teenage girls choose to kill their unborn child? However, there is no indication of follow-up research on the part of Linda Hirshman to discover exactly how the “unaborted” living survivors feel about their mother’s “Choice” to subject them to the miseries of life. Ms. Hirshman closes by blaming everything on the Republicans: “the cruelty of the Republican position on abortion rights is now graphically laid bare.”
It is interesting to consider that the mother of the Democrat’s current nominee for President, Barack Obama, did not have the guidance of Linda Hirshman, when she was giving birth as a teenager. What would Mrs. Barack Sr. have chosen to do, if only she knew the real horrors that awaited her child? Would she have chosen “The Sanctity of Life” for her unborn child, or would she have chosen the “CHOICE” that none dare name?